Welcome to our new format for the RackN and Digital Rebar Weekly Review. It contains the same great information you are accustomed to; however, I have reorganized it to place a new section at the start with my thoughts on various topics. You can still find the latest news items related to Edge, DevOps and other relevant topics below.
Automation and Scale at the Edge
Edge computing presents significant challenges to operations teams as there will be hundreds of thousands of endpoints to provision, manage and secure. Unable to physically access each of these endpoints, operations must remotely access with a powerful automation tool to ensure service uptime.
RackN solutions are architected from the ground of to enable this remote automation. Here is Rob Hirschfeld, Co-Founder/CEO of RackN with more details.
Building an Operator Community
We are building an operators community sharing best practices and code to reuse across work sites to fully automate data centers. Working together operators can solve operational challenges for not just their infrastructure, but also find common patterns to leverage across a broad set of architectures.
Community is a powerful force in the software industry and there is no reason why those concepts cannot be leveraged by operators and DevOps teams to completely change the ROI of running a data center. RackN is founded on this belief that working together we can transform data center management via automation and physical ops.
- Edge Computing
ADVA Optical Networking will host a joint demonstration with BT to showcase end-to-end, multi-layer transport network slicing and assurance.
The demonstration, which takes place at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona, will show how edge computing and network slicing techniques can help enable emerging 5G applications. It marks the beginning of a long-term research collaboration between the two companies, focused on network slicing implementations.
AT&T on Tuesday announced a pair of steps in the carrier’s ongoing edge computing efforts.
The company launched the first project at its previously announced edge test zone in Palo Alto, Calif., and joined a new open source project focused on edge cloud infrastructure.
- Why the GDPR could speed up DevOps adoption : TechRepublic
TechRepublic spoke with Datadog chief product officer Amit Agarwal to explain why DevOps is so important, and where it’s headed.
Sometimes, all it takes to get focus on an elusive subject like the DevOps process is a bit of a name change. Perhaps that will be the case here, when it comes to a new term I’ve only started hearing over the last few months: intent-based DevOps.
I first heard it on a conference floor, and while many were talking about DevOps successes, others were wondering what it was going to take to achieve scale through the enterprise. Intent-based DevOps felt intriguing — kind of a “less is more” approach to a sweeping development and deployment strategy that still seems too large to be easily consumed.
- Install Digital Rebar v3 7 on Packet net – NEW Training Video
- RackN Trial – 30-day access to RackN technology with support and training from RackN team – Register Today
- NEW YouTube Videos from Rob Hirschfeld, CEO/Co-Founder RackN
- February Events
- Container World (Feb 26 – 28) in Santa Clara, CA
Digital Rebar Community
- Digital Rebar Provision version 3.7 launched
- Join Community Online Meetup
- Attend February 27, 2017 Community Online Meetup – Register Here
L8ist Sh9y Podcast
- Get to Know the L8ist Sh9y Podcast: Why of Technology not just the What (0:46 Sec)
- SoundCloud Home Page of L8ist Sh9y
- NEW Nic Jackson on HashiCorp Product Philosophy in Open Source and Feature Minimization – Listen (46:44 Sec)
- Gina Rosenthal (Minks) on Ops Challenges, Day 2 Ops Support & DevOps Communications – Listen (51:29 Sec)
- Coming Next Week – Eric Wright