These Crowbar videos are the first two in a series of how to setup and use your own local Crowbar dev environment (here’s more info & the ISO). I used VMware Workstation, but any virtual hosts that support Ubuntu 10.10 will work fine. We use ESX, KVM and Xen for testing too.
Creating this environment is the basis for learning Crowbar, experimenting with OpenStack and creating your own barclamps. It’s also a handy way to play with Opscode Chef since it includes a stand alone Chef server.
Some items from the install video that I want to re-emphasize:
- The admin server REQUIRES >1 GB of RAM (more is better)
- All other nodes REQUIRE > 512 MB of RAM (more depending on what you install)
- At least TWO NICS are required.
- You must disable DHCP on the virtual network because Crowbar has a DHCP server and they will conflict.
- The login for the Crowbar admin server is openstack/openstack. You must “sudo -i” before you run the install script.
- The default url for Crowbar is http://192.168.124.10:3000 (crowbar/crowbar)