Welcome to the weekly post of the RackN blog recap of all things Digital Rebar, RackN, SRE, and DevOps. If you have any ideas for this recap or would like to include content please contact us at email@example.com or tweet Rob (@zehicle) or RackN (@rackngo)
Items of the Week
This week, RackN released a new high-level image highlighting the RackN and Digital Rebar solution and how they operate together to deliver provisioning services. Next week, we will provide further detail into how Digital Rebar operates between RackN Infrastructure Management and the provisioned hardware and VMs.
Digital Rebar Community
Terraform to Metal with Digital Rebar
Data Center Bacon Blog
We’ve built a buttery smooth Terraform provider for Bare Metal that runs equally on, of course, servers, Packet.net servers or VirtualBox VMs. If you like Hashicorp Terraform and want it to own your data center too, then read on.
Deep into the Digital Rebar Provision (DRP) release plan, a customer asked the RackN team to build a Terraform provider for DRP. They had some very specific requirements that would stress all the new workflows and out-of-band management features in the release: in many ways, this integration is the ultimate proof point for DRP v3.1 because it drives DRP autonomously.
The primary goal was simple: run a data center as a resource pool for Terraform.
Digital Rebar and Terraform Provisioning Podcast
Digital Rebar v3.1 Product Launch
Product Launch Blog
We’ve made open network provisioning radically simpler. So simple, you can install in 5 minutes and be provisioning in under 30. That’s a bold claim, but it’s also an essential deliverable for us to bridge the Ops execution gap in a way that does not disrupt your existing tool chains.
The v3 mantra is about starting simple and allowing users to grow automation incrementally. RackN has been building advanced automation packages and powerful UX management to support that mission.
Key v3.1 Features:
- Layered Storage System
- Content Packaging System
- Plug-In System
- Stages, Tasks & Jobs
- Websocket API for Event Subscription
- Embedded UI
Digital Rebar Provision 3.1 Launch Podcast
First Online Meetup: Sept 26, 2017 at 11:00am PST
Join Meetup Group Here : Meetup Announcement Blog
Topics for Meetup:
- Introduction to Digital Rebar Provision (DRP) and RackN
- Naming the Digital Rebar mascot 
- Discussion on DRP version 3.1 features
- Feature and roadmap planning for DRP version 3.2
- Use Github Projects or Trello Board
- Demo of DRP workload deployment
- Getting in touch with the Digital Rebar community and RackN
- Questions and answers period
Rob Hirschfeld and Greg Althaus are preparing for a series of upcoming events where they are speaking or just attending. If you are interested in meeting with them at these events please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- SDXe – Sept 25 – 27 : Panel: Do It Like a Hyperscaler: Engineernig Containers for Security and Hostile Multitenancy Sept 27 at 1pm
- Gartner Symposium / ITxpo – October 1 – 5, 2017 : Event Site
- DevOps Summit – Oct 31 – Nov 2: Rob Hirschfeld Talk
If you are attending any of these events please reach out to Rob Hirschfeld to setup time to learn more about our solutions or discuss the latest industry trends.
- SRE Weekly (@SREWeekly) – Issue #89
- The DevOps/WebOps Marketing Geek – LINK from @LukasHertig
- Julie Evans Blog – LINK